Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Closer to the Heart


On May 20th of last year, we returned home after being away for 101 days. This year on May 20th, we left home, but only to be away for three days. Nori’s PDA valve never closed on its own, so we went to the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia for the “catheterization” as they called it.

We set up base camp at Bryan’s parents’ house. Nonna attentively filled her home with all the things she knew we would need but would never request such as a crib for each baby, all their specific brand (I can be a little brand specific) baby products, and, of course, 7 different kinds of milk: Whole organic milk for Nori, Lactaid whole milk for Charlie, half and half for Bryan and Skim Plus for me, as well as the milk Nonna and Poppy normally drink. I love that Nonna silently subscribes to my nuttiness (literally nutty, what with my love of whole grain goodness) without making me ask for anything, as if the asking would reveal the self-verification of my craziness. Sure, I could have lived without Skim Plus for three days, but Nonna knew it would make each difficult day a little bit easier if I could pour my milk on Blueberry Khashi and in my coffee. It did.

Charlie stayed and received the royal treatment while Bryan and I shuttled Nori back and forth to the hospital. On the first day, Nori had preliminary testing: blood work, a brief physical, and an Echocardiogram. The staff at CHOP was amazing-clearly a staff that specializes in children. The only part that went a little long was the echo, but Nori was a pro, leaning back on a pillow, dressed only in her diaper, watching Elmo and eating cheese and waffles, six leads coming from her chest, while the tech rubbed her belly with jelly and an echo wand. Later on, she did not even make a peep, really not a sound, when her blood was drawn. She stared at her blood going in to the vial and gave the phlebotomist a look that said, “Bring it on.” That night Bryan and I were treated to a night out to dinner followed by ice cream-a much needed date night.

The next day we arrived at CHOP at 7:30 am. Nori went in at 9:00 am (I cried, she didn’t) and was done by 12:00pm. She had to lie flat for a few hours to rest and then we left the hospital by 5:00. We arrived back at Nonna and Poppy’s by 7:00, where Nori promptly hopped out of her car seat and began playing. Bryan and I were spent, but she was ready to go-what with the five hours of lying down and all. Amazing.

So yet another health hurdle conquered. Where do we get off being so blessed? I am working on ways to express my gratitude but nothing seems comparable to the gifts I am given.

No comments: