Monday, January 7, 2008

Rock Star Treatment

On Saturday night, Bry, Amanda, Eric and I went to Bistro Ole in Asbury Park for dinner. Normally, they have a pretty strict seating policy, making sure your entire party is present before showing you to the table. I ducked ahead of everyone to see what the wait was like. Luckily there was no wait so I went out and told Bry to park and texted Amanda and E to see what their estimated time of arrival would be. When I went back in to the restaurant, I let the hostess know that my party was just parking and would be here soon. Normally, I would have had to stand in the cramped foyer until everyone showed up. Weirdly, the hostess promptly replied, "Oh, you can go right in and sit." "Oh thanks, " I replied, thinking they were just slow that night and that there were plenty of tables. Once inside, I saw that it was crowded and thought to myself that I hoped it was really okay that I was sitting alone at my four top. Bryan came in a few minutes later, smiling. He said, "I came in and asked if my wife was sat." The hostess replied, "Oh the real big pregnant lady?" Apparently I am huge and did not know it. The night proceeded with extra attention and privileges from the colorful owner, Rico, telling tables around us that I was pregnant with triplets once he inquired about my condition and cutting whole lines of people at the bathroom without asking to. This house arrest is causing me to miss out on a lot of star privileges!

When the host came over to say high to us and ask about mine and Amanda's pregnancies, he let us know that we just missed a couple who just had triplets. He began to say that they were taking a break from the hospital to eat and then discreetly cut himself off. Funny how a male restaurant owner had more tact than most mothering women I know, knowing that sharing a story about hospitalized triplets may not be the sort of thing I want to hear while enjoying a Saturday night out. Gay man more sensitive than young moms. Who would of thought.

No comments: