Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Same Time Last Year

I took a break from playing Tetris on my cell phone (what else am I supposed to do in the gloomy breast feeding room while it takes 30 minutes to pump out lunch for Charlie and Nori?) to text Jessica (I am really good at multitasking). Last year at this time, Jessica, Chrissy and I were in Barcelona. We roamed the city every morning, took disco naps in the afternoon, and then headed out for a lot of tapas and wine. We were connoisseurs of Catalan cuisine and fluent in Spanish when necessary. We sat in a small bar drinking great red wine watching 80's music videos from Madonna and Wham! on a large flatscreen above the bar. By the time the Cher video came on Jessica was sure we were in a gay bar. It was not until the Boy George video that Chrissy and I agreed. Today, Jessica was watching Lifetime and I was hanging out in a NICU. Chrissy, perhaps, was doing something closer to our lives a year ago but I could not text England. She will be home soon and hopefully so will I. Refelcting about that trip did not make me feel sad about the radical change in my life but instead I felt grateful. A year ago if I had to predict how I might feel in a situation like I am currently in I might have said resentful. But really, as I sat in the overused vinyl chair hoping no one would walk in on me looking for supplies (because the breast feeding room is really a supply closet in disguise), I just felt content and perhaps prepared. Not prepared and content about the challenges that motherhood would present me but rather content and prepared to have a year unlike any I have experienced before.

3 comments:

AJL said...

Wow Amy, what an awesome blog! Christina just sent me the link and I was so pumped to hear how you and the kids are doing. I am glad to hear the 2 pound barrier has been broken for both Nori and Charles! Keep the updates coming. I can't wait to tell all my friends and basically my whole church that has been praying for you and the family. We are thinking about you lots! Can't wait to meet the little ones. Have a great day. Love the outfits by the way!

Anonymous said...

Hi Amy - We love what you have done with the background of your blog!!! You sure are computer savvy! Also Ryan and I feel that you should have no worries about being prepared for motherhood - Ryan said if you are as wonderful a mother as you are an aunt - then Charlie and Nori have the best mom!!!
We love you and miss you! Love, Ryan and Beth

Anonymous said...

Amy - You and Bryan have handled this entire situation wonderfully. I am so proud of you and Bryan. Love you - Aunt Nori