Monday, April 7, 2008

Bonus Time

Tomorrow it will be 8 weeks. I talked with the case manger about a medical transport home but since it is not a medical necessity it is a financial unreality. However, we are coming off of a string of visitors, with my mom and Lisette and Sean visiting over the last two weeks and Sandy coming over today. We are revitalized immediately by their presence but I have to admit I feel deflated as they leave. The energy they provide, though, has been sustaining overall. Also, as much as I want to be home, moving the babies from one hospital to another does not exactly make me feel comfortable. Additionally, we do really feel cared for by the hospital staff here and the babies get stronger everyday. Last night was bath night and the nurse, who took care of the babies week one, hugged me after we were finished. We have an 8-week history together that holds fast with posttraumatic stress glue. The doctors and nurses have different predictions for our release date. I chose to side with the more optimistic predictions of 4 to 6 weeks. When I get anxious about the time I am missing with the babies while they are in the hospital I remind myself that I should not have met them until maybe this week. So, the time we spend together now is just a bonus.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I understand that feeling of thinking you'll not get to the end of this. Feeling that despite the doctors and nurses, you feel alone, and definitely separated from "normal" life! How can the world still go round while the four of you have to endure this!? But everyday you get a step closer to going home, and everyday you manage to keep going! No need to tell you to keep your chin up and stay strong, because you already do that. I will just remind you that you are not as alone as you feel. Your story has touched more lives than you can imagine, I am sure I am not the only one who has become attached to your family through your blog, it seems your family awaits your return with open arms too...and last but most definitely not least, I know God is watching over you and the babies. Let Him hold you through this, and get strength and courage from Him.

Anonymous said...

Praying that the time passes quickly and you are home soon. Love you.

Denice said...

Amy -

I wish the Beyer's could make a trip down...but I just down know if that is possible. Please know that you are in out thoughts daily and can't wait to see you!

Love,

Denice