Friday, April 11, 2008

Rock and Roll Like a Ball

Yesterday was the first time I could roll like a ball. A basic Pilates move that in my pre-pregnancy life I would zip past and onto something more complicated and calorically calculated had recently become a goal. A year ago, I would have suppressed my smugness if I had glanced to the mat next to me, seeing someone struggle to touch their toes as I pressed my nose to me knees. Yesterday, however, I was just happy that I could sit up without having to roll to one side using my elbow like a crutch. After my victory I came back from the fitness center in our apartment complex and told Bryan all about it. He reminded me that it was only 9 weeks ago that I was “sawed in half.” Nevertheless, as a reward and to provide further motivation, I decided to buy a balance ball and really get serious about losing this baby weight. As a result, I blew up my Target theory. The Target in the new neighborhood is crazy. It sits high atop a parking garage that pitches like the Rock and Roll Roller Coaster at one of those Disney theme parks. Perhaps it is not that extreme but it seemed that way since I was pumping Kansas from XM Radio’s “Big Tracks” from the pimp my ride Yukon stereo system. The inside of this Target resembles more of a Bradlees, or perhaps even a Two Guys, yet right outside the checkout was a Starbucks. Despite the incongruity I was feeling, I still bought my balance ball. Facing a situation that demands emotional strength while feeling so physically weak is an ironic imbalance that probably will not be fixed by the balance ball, but at least it is a healthy diversion.

2 comments:

ShawnieMac said...

I can absolutely understand the joy in the ability to do something that used to come so easily but then became impossible, for a while. (Which reminds me, I really should get out my ball...)
xoxo

Amy said...

I love you Jen!